Painting is a technique and art of decorating surfaces. When you yourself paint a surface, you have to learn this art and skill to do the job easily.
There was a time when it was considered a nightmare to perform such type of technical job. But now the modern machines and the tutorials for operating these machines have made it an easy and enjoyable process.
Painting with an HVLP spray gun is not a single-step process, it is a multi-step process that eventually paves the way for the actual practice of painting. You have to learn the basic knowledge and skills of the work and use of the spray gun.
It is a job of a little more consideration with having more patience. If you are a newbie in the field of painting and want to paint your home, walls, furniture, or any structure by yourself using an HVLP spray gun.
You should know how to paint with an HVLP spray gun and spend some time learning about this art of painting.
What Are The Main Supplies Required To Paint With An HVLP Spray Gun?
Painting is done keeping different purposes in mind as a change of the old color, setting the rusted surface, cleaning the dust, and removing the greasy residues.
When you paint any surface with an HVLP spray gun, you should gather the following material before starting the actual work.
- #1: An HVLP Spray Gun
- #2: Sanding Powder
- #3: Sanding Pads or a rag
- #4: Cleaning Solvent
- #5: Your favorite enamel
- #6: A masking tape or a newspaper
- #7: Paint thinner or the liquid-like thinner
- #8: Protective equipment like masks, glasses, hastes, etc.
- #9: A clear coat of lacquer
Importance Of HVLP Spray Gun
The use of an HVLP spray gun makes the painting job easy and fun. It gives a quite professional look to your project.
You can apply many tools and techniques for the work, but the use of the HVLP Spray Gun is a broadly acknowledged tool of painting.
Painting with an HVLP spray gun is favored more than traditional techniques. It enables the painter to work with unusual skills.
Some Necessary Instructions Before Painting
Before starting the actual work of painting with the HVLP Spray Gun, keep the following things in mind;
- #1: Gather all the provisions necessary for the work.
- #2: Mix the desired amount of paint for the size and areas you are painting. If it is small, 1-gallon primer, 2-3 gallons of clear coat, and 3 gallons of topcoat are necessary. If it is a large area, 1 ½ gallons of primer, 3-4 gallons of clear coat, and 4 gallons of topcoat are required.
- #3: If the surface is broken, repair it, and grind it.
- #4: If the surface is rusted, trim it to make it ready for paint.
- #5: Select the color type; waterborne or solvent-borne and treat them separately.
- #6: Select the right place and time to paint the surface with HVLP Spray Gun.
- #7: Remove all the dust, dirt, and debris near the workplace.
- #8: Arrange the light, and electricity for the painting work.
- #9: Remove dangerous material from the workplace.
How To Paint With An HVLP Spray Gun? (Step By Step Process)
- Step #1: Clean the Surface using alcohol or mineral spirits and remove all the residues making it ready for painting.
- Step #2: Sand the Surface to make it even and smooth for the first coat of paint/primer.
- Step #3: Tape the area or part of the surfaces, you don’t want to paint like glasses, door handles, mirrors, etc.
- Step #4: Spray primer coat on the surface to make it rough and ready for the consumption of the next paint coat.
- Step #5: Sand the surface a second time after the spray of primer to scratch the bubbles and dried paint.
- Step #6: Wipe the surface with thinner or water then dry it for the next painting coat.
- Step #7: Apply the paint on the surface with an HVLP spray gun, after all completing all the basic requirements.
- Step #8: Hold the HVLP spray gun 6 inches away from your surface.
- Step #9: Move the gun side to side, or top to toe spraying a thin layer of paint.
- Step #10: Spray 3 to 4 coats to cover the full area of the surface.
- Step #11: Leave the painted area at least 30 minutes to dry before next applying the next coat.
- Step #12: Now sand once more before applying the last painting coat to get the smooth final finishing.
- Step #13: After successfully completing all the processes, apply the lacquer/polish to make the surface shining and eye-catching. This step needs a high level of professional skill.
- Step #14: After all is done, remove the masking tape soon to avoid any scratches if the paint dries up.
- Step #15: Now clean your spray gun neatly and the mistakenly over-sprayed material from your surface.
#1. Working Place Precautions
- Clean the working place well before spraying paint.
- Remove all the ignitable material placed nearby.
- Don’t let the children and visitors come near the workplace.
- Switch on lights and arrange the power supply at your workplace.
#2. Weather Precautions
- Avoid spraying paint in rainy and unclear weather.
- Avoid spraying in blowing wind or storm.
- Avoid spraying in hotter or colder weather.
#3. Gun-Related Precautions
- Don’t force the gun’s part to work unnaturally.
- Separate the gun from air pressure doing necessary adjustments.
- Test the leakage and breakage in all the parts of the gun.
- Don’t use the gun in nozzle blockage conditions.
- Clean the gun carefully soon after using it.
- Get the gun serviced by a skilled and trained person.
#4. Personal Safety Precautions
- Stay alert during spraying with an HVLP gun.
- Don’t use a gun when you have used drugs or are intoxicated.
- Wear a suitable dress that is completely fitted to your body.
- Wear a hard cap on your head.
- Wear fully covered gloves on your hands and non-skid safety shoes.
- Wear glasses to protect the eyes.
Frequently Asked Question
Do I Need Thin Paint For An HVLP Spray Gun?
Yes, it is necessary to thin the paint for use in the HVLP spray gun to achieve a good quality of finishing.
If you don’t thin the paint, it will be thicker and make bubbles on the surface. So thin the paint and mix well before spraying.
What Type Of Paint Can I Use In An HVLP Spray Gun?
You can use all types of paint in an HVLP spray gun, but oil-based paints are preferred. The water-based paint can dry and clog soon in the nozzle, so you have to dilute it before filling in the gun.
Whatever paint you spray with an HVLP gun, mix well to get the right consistency.
What Are The Basic Compressor Requirements Of An HVLP Spray Gun?
HVLP spray guns require ample air with a larger-capacity compressor. So the basic requirements are at least 21⁄2 to 3 HP compressors with almost a 75 liters tank.
Can I Use A Regular Compressor With An HVLP Spray Gun?
Yes, you can use a regular compressor with your HVLP spray gun. I would like to recommend at least 12 CFM compressors or higher.
In this era, traditional techniques of painting are obsolete now. Machines have made every job easy for workers saving time and labor. HVLP spray guns are a unique gift in the hand of painters, professionals, and newbies.
With just a little extra effort, they can use these HVLP spray guns for painting purposes almost everywhere, especially in small projects.
They are easy to use and save material from wasting more than the traditional method of painting. You can really enjoy working with these HVL spray guns.